The tax considerations of retirement planning are often complex. Therefore, the CPA’s special expertise makes him the most qualified professional to assist individuals in developing a retirement plan. This course introduces the CPA to the nuts and bolts of developing a retirement plan, and emphasizes the various tax considerations, including those introduced by recent legislation.
- Recite steps in the retirement planning process.
- Estimate retirement needs.
- Describe basic sources of retirement income.
- Discuss qualified retirement plans.
- Discuss nonqualified retirement plans.
- Understand employee stock options.
- Explain restricted property plans.
- Explain Individual Retirement Arrangements.
- Describe SEPs, Keoghs, and Tax-Deferred Annuities.
- Explain Social Security.
- Discuss special tax provisions.
- Explain penalties.
- Describe withholding requirements.
The course also includes several worksheets and exhibits designed to assist the CPA in developing retirement plans.
Course Prerequisite: Understanding of Basic Individual Tax Principles
Course Level: Basic to Intermediate
Field of Study: Specialized Knowledge
Course Format: Downloadable Text
Recommended CPE Credit: 12 hours